DB2, is an IBM product which is developed on the relational model of DBMS. IBM is known for its brand and recognition. They develop things a class apart and available for all the operating systems like UNIX, LINUX and WINDOWS. IBM certifications are always recognised by all the companies all over the globe. IBM Certified DBS - DB2 10.1 for Linux UNIX and Windows is for consultants who have experience in the database concepts of the DB2 technology. The technology is always changing and it is good to be knowing everything.
Who can do this certification?
Any one who is knowledgeable IBM DB2 10.1 for Linux UNIX and Windows with real time issue handling is eligible for taking this certification. It is very important to know all the details about the subject before taking up any certification. The candidate must have an extensive experience in administering the DB2 database of version 10.1. It is very good and nice to take up exam after some hands on training in the specified subject.
By completing this exam the person is fit enough to carry out the tasks related to IBM DB2 10.1 administration. Completing IBM certifications exam will help you to get acknowledged by the senior management in the organization that you work on. Certifications will definitely take your to a different level from where you are currently performing. It will change you status level and you yourself will have a self confidence to take up any issues that are being raised.
This certification needs two exams to be cleared.
- Step 1 – Clear any one of the below exams
- DB2 10.1 Fundamentals - C2090-610
- DB2 9 Family Fundamentals - C2090-730
- Step 2 – Clear this exam
- DB2 10.1 DBA for Linux, UNIX, and Windows - C2090-611
It is better to have competent familiarity in the IBM DB2 10.1 administration concepts before taking up this exam. The level of familiarity could be from basic to advanced level such that the exam could be easily cleared. The training could be a formal or informal means of education. Taking a deep look in to the eligibility criteria is very important for a certification such that one can come to know about the level of knowledge being possessed and the remaining things that should be learnt.
Topics covered – in this exam of C2090-611
- Knowledge about configuring and managing the database servers of DB2, database instances. Usage autonomic features that are available and Data studio.
- Knowledge about the Physical Database Design, create and change the database and the different objects, automatic storage database, partitioning and how to transform the surviving one?
- What is compression and usage, concepts on features of new table, data feature of Multi-temperature.
- How to create constraints on a table, create views using the WITH CHECK OPTION, create and use triggers in DB2?
- Knowledge on monitoring the database using the functions of SQL and admin views, features of monitoring the Work load manager, the usage of the other automatic monitoring tools, the tools that identify the problems and their usage
- Analysing VISUAL EXPLAIN and EXPLAIN commands, what are the Utilities, what are the utilities used for data movement?
- Usage of Demonstrate the ability to use the RUNSTATS, REORG, REBIND, FLUSH PACKAGE CACHE and REORGCHK utilities and usage of the utility of Design advisor of DB2
- Knowledge about the data integrity methods of DB2 database, operations for recovery and back up at the table and database level, configuring and managing HADR, pure scale of DB2 database
- What are the roles and authorizations of DB2, the role of the security administrator, Audit facility, trusted content, RCAC and LBAC?
- Configuring database, discovery of DB2 and what is LDAP?
The exam will test the ability of a person to administer the DB2 database version 10.1 and after completing the exam successfully, you will be able to perform all the DBS tasks pertaining to the DB2 10.1 with high productivity and efficiency.
The exam could be attempted in English and Japanese which will 59 questions in which one have to choose the right answer from the given choices within 90 minutes and 61% of which have to be right.
The validity of the certification exam does not expire. The database often gets updated with the latest things and it is the individual who must keep themselves by doing the exam again and getting updated with the latest news.
This certification helped me gain more knowledge on the basic concepts of DB2 database. It is a good start for a person who is a novice and would help to a great extent. I have been able to do my tasks quickly and confidently after I took up the certification. I must thank my mentor who gave me this idea of writing a certification on DB2. Thanks to IBM as well!!
Edel Goerge, Citibank.
New Jersey, USA