NCIE-SAN certification, often termed as NetApp Certified Implementation Engineer SAN certification endows the individual with familiarity about customers and storage requirements, implementation of Fiber Channel along with iSCSI and SAN solutions. You'll also learn about integrating various operating systems together and applications such as Microsoft SQL and Exchange Server, Oracle and DB2 etc.
Who can do the certification?
The NCIE SAN certification has lots of different features with each feature targeting different business and technical personnel. First quality of this course is NetApp Connect Unified Technical Implementation and Overview is meant for all the customers of NetApp. The next mark of this course is SAN implementation and is meant for the technical personnel who have the work of implementing SAN solutions on the NetApp storage system. The next attribute architecting SAN on the NetApp storage is also more or less the same technical personnel dealing with storage system. The next quality of this course is Switch configuration of the SAN implementation is focusing on professional service partners and NetApp engineers who have previously worked in this field. The next feature SAN Fundamentals on DATA ONTAP focuses mainly on technical sales and support employees, customers and partners.
The NCIE SAN certification will be verifying your technical expertise and will send a strong signal to your employee of the mastery in the field. The industry peers will also recognize you as someone who can deliver superior services with the knowledge and skills that you possess. This indeed will communicate your NetApp experience and expertise to the world and will broaden your employment opportunities along with technical and professional growth.
In order to achieve NetApp Certified Implementation Engineer SAN certification, you must first have successfully delivered in NCDA certification. After that process, you must clear the certification exam NS0-502 or NS0-504 to make yourself eligible for the certification. Not able to make it through any of these processes will not do you any good.
The students must have achieved NCDA certification prior to this course. The candidates must also have familiarity of Data ONTAP, V Series and E series etc. Certification of NetApp Data management administrator is also essential for the course. SAN Fundamentals on Data ONTAP and ONTAP 7 Mode administration knowledge is also essential for the course. Basic knowledge about SAN design, Clustered ONTAP Fundamentals is also required beforehand for this course. Familiarity to SAN Protocols is also essentially required prior to this course.
Certification exam will be testing you on various topics such as:
- Describing various types of SANs, exploring storage architecture for Data ONTAP and SAN tricity software, investigate E series with SAN tricity, describing solutions and scenarios.
- Configuring windows server, red hat and ONTAP systems for better connectivity, using and installing Snap Drive for LINUX to perform operations of LUNs, recover LUNs on windows server and troubleshoot the connectivity and performance issue.
- Introduction to unified connect, benefits of Ethernet, basics of DCB and FCoE, identify steps to Ethernet using brocade and Cisco switches.
- Configuring the network adapter and target adapters for IP protocols, mapping of fiber channel starter to FCoE target.
- Configuring brocade and fiber Cisco channel SAN switch, steps to configuring the iSCSI switch, relation of LUNs to Data ONTAP system.
- Components used in FCoE, IP SANs and FC, managing LUNs on storage system and clustered ONTAP, exploring multi pathing options for FC and ISCSI and describing components and features used in SAN.
- SAN implementation and configuration tasks, testing and troubleshooting, implementation plan creation and solution assessment.
By the end of the course you will have acquired skills linked to differentiating among SAN architecture, connecting LINUX and Windows hosts through a fiber channel, iSCSI protocol to NetApp SANs. You'll also learn about the implementation and configuration of fiber channel over Ethernet as well as techniques to converge to a single connection.
The examination process will have a total of 68 questions and you will be given with 75 minutes time to complete it and least amount of 75% is necessary in exam to pass.
Validity of the certification
NetApp certification is valid for a period of 2 years from the date of achieving the certification. That means you must migrate to the latest product version as soon as they are made available.
The course will be outlining the relevance of proper management of NetApp products and services through many different products, which is not easy to achieve in a working environment. So, this course focuses on realization of NetApp services in form of Data ONTAP and its related features, and testing of benefits for its proper implementation and the usefulness of them being realized for the organization.
Mike Schumi, Black Deck