SPHR certification is offered by HRCI (Human Resource Certification Institute) for HR professionals who design HR policies and make HR planning. The exam is general in nature and is based on U.S. Federal laws, regulations, and practices. The exam tests the strategy and policy making skills of the candidates generally, at the technical and operational level.
This certification focuses mostly on planning rather than implementing HR policies. SPHR professionals should have the breadth and depth of knowledge in all HR disciplines. They have direct accountability for all HR functions in the HR department. They should understand the business beyond the HR functions. Their decisions not only influence the HR department but theentire organization.
Before taking SPHR certification exam, you need to have:
- At least 4 years of professional experience in an exempt-level HR position with a Master's degree or higher. OR
- At least 5 years of experience in an exempt-level HR position with a Bachelor's degree. OR
- At least 7 years of experience in an exempt-level HR with less than a Bachelor's degree.
The Exam consists of 175 multiple choice questions that need to be answered within 3 hours.Each question has only one correct answer. The 25 questions in the exam are pre-test questions and are not graded in the exam.
The pre-test questions are mingled in the exam questions in such a way that they cannot be recognized by the candidate. The intention behind pre-test questions is to improve the exam in future.
The maximum marks for the exam are 700 and you need to pass the exam with 500 marks or better. The exam is conducted in two testing periods per year: May 1 through June 30 and December 1 through January 30.
If you are not able to clear SPHR exam then you can retake the exam in the next testing period.
SPHR certification is valid for three years after which you need to either retake the exam or earn 60 recertification credit hours, out of which 15 credit hours should be in Business Management and Strategy domain.
SPHR exam tests your general skills in the following domains:
- Business Management and Strategy
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Human Resource Development
- Compensation and Benefits
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Risk Management
The percentages of questions from each of these topics are: 30% from Business Management and Strategy, 17% from Workforce Planning and Employment, 19% from Human Resource Development, 13% from Compensation and Benefits, 14% from Employee and Labor Relations, and 7% from Risk Management.
SPHR Certification Benefits
SPHR certification allows you to:
- Participate in organization's strategic planning process to develop strategic plans that align with organization's strategic plans.
- Develop business metrics and analyse it to measure the organization's strategic goals.
- Perform cost/ benefit analysis on proposed project and manage HR budgets.
- Perform risk management and make appropriate decisions to mitigate risks.
- Show your commitment towards your profession with enhanced credibility and marketability.
- Get yourself recognized globally for being a highly motivated and a strong professional.
- Become more knowledgeable, get hired fast, and stand distinct among peers.
After earning my SPHR certification, I have become an expert in the HR field. My company has recognized me for my skills and I have become a more valuable asset for my company. I am capable of keeping up with the latest HR developments including the latest legislative changes and can protect my organization from risk by ensuring the regulatory compliance.
John Brown, Vice president Human Resource, Fremont