Determine which software components need to be installed prior to deploying Exchange Server 2010
Before Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 is installed it is important to ensure that the network, clients, hardware, software and all other components comply with the specified requirements. It is equally important to understand coexistence of various elements that are conducive for Exchange 2010 and its earlier versions. For a better understanding of software requirements, it is important to first look at the hardware requirements.
Microsoft lends support for producing Exchange Server 2010 servers that comply with the minimum hardware requirements. If an Exchange Server 2010 is deployed in a production environment while expecting that Microsoft supports the configuration, it is important to analyze that the server comply with the minimum hardware requirements. When Exchange Server 2010 is deployed in a test environment, it is a possibility to use the hardware that does not comply with the prescribed minimum requirements.
The minimum hardware requirements that are supported for Exchange Server 2010 are:
- Any of the following processors lend support for Exchange Server 2010:
- 64 bit computing based Intel processors capable of supporting Intel 64 architecture;
- AMD64 processor;
- Processors belonging to the Intel Itanium 64 bit family are not supported.
In most of the cases this requirement is determined by the features that have been installed. To draw out a rough idea Edge Transport requires 4 GB; Hub Transport 4GB; Client Access 4 GB; Unified Messaging 4 GB; Mailbox 4 GB; Combined role of Client Access and Hub Transport Server roles 4 GB and multiple roles require 8 GB.
- Size - Paging File
The physical RAM and an additional of 10 MB is the specified minimum and maximum size.
- Disk Space
The minimum of Disk Space required for various functions is
- A minimum of 1.2 GB installation of the Exchange
- Additional space of 500 MB is required for the Unified Messaging (UM) language pack
- On the system drive a 200 MB of space should be available
- A hard drive for storing the database having the message queues.
A DVD-Read Only Memory drive in a local or networked architecture.
- Screen Resolution
A minimum of 800 by 600 pixels.
- File format
System partitions, partitions that house the transaction log files, Exchange binary files and database files should be formatted.
An operating system with x64 processor requires any one from the below mentioned:
- Windows Server 2008, on 64 bit architecture with SP-2. This edition could be Standard or Enterprise.
- Windows Server 2008, on 64 bit architecture with Service Pack-1. This could be R2 Standard or Enterprise.
- Windows Server 2008 on Datacenter RTM or a later version. R2 Datacenter RTM or a later version also allows installation of Exchange server.
The OS for successful installation of the Exchange Mngmt. tools on a system with 64-bit processor needs one from the below mentioned:
- Windows Vista with Service Pack-2
- Windows Server 2008 on x64 bit with Service Pack-2. This edition could be Standard or Enterprise.
- Windows Server 2008 on x64 bit. This could be R2 Standard or Enterprise.
- Windows 7 on x64 bit.