IBM Certified Database Administrator – DB2 10.5 for DBA LUW Upgrade from DB2 10.1 is designed for those who are well versed in the DB2 database administration activities continuously for a period of time. The professional must be able to design, create and manipulate the database right from the scratch and maintain it. The responsibilities handled by the person should be at an advanced level in order to handle all the issues and problems raised in any situation. The database thus created and maintained should be extremely reliable and consistent for which the professional needs to be an expert in upgrading the database from DB2 concepts.
Who can do this certification?
The certification is a necessity for those who have an aim to succeed their career in the DB2 area. Database administration includes many tasks out of which one of the most important ones is migration and upgrade. As in when there is development and updates in the DB2 the same have to be implemented in all the older versions. Such an activity requires an extensive practice to perform them on all the servers or machines. By doing this certification the person would be mastered on all the tasks that are required for migration.
The current features and characteristics of the DB2 should be known for every person who is intended to perform this certification.
Knowledge about all the functions, information and facts related to the DB2 10.1 upgrade to DB2 10.5 would be known after finishing this certification which would benefit the technical consultant in projecting the same in the organization they work. DB2 database is considered one of the most reliable databases that would be used from a small to large applications. The salary would be comparative more than the persons without the certification and the same applies to the knowledge level also.
One has to clear 3 exams for achieving this certification.
- Passing any one of the below exams
- C2090-730 – Family fundamentals of DB2 9
- Test C2090-610 – Fundamentals of DB2 10.1
- C2090-611 - DB2 10.1 DBA for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
- C2090-311 - IBM DB2 10.5 DBA for LUW Upgrade from DB2 10.1
Prior to begin preparation for this certification exam, there are many training and courses recommended. Knowing all the technical information regarding the features available in the DB2 10.1 are required to be known before taking up the exam. Apart from that there are no mandatory prerequisites articulated by IBM.
The IBM Certified Database Administrator - DB2 10.5 DBA for LUW Upgrade from DB2 10.1 examination has the following important topics to be covered before appearing.
- Managing the DB2 server configuring the workload for the analytics system, by using the DB2 autonomic characteristics, by using the data studio and management of automatic workload.
- Design the physical database by understanding the 7 ideas of BLU acceleration, by knowing the techniques of compressing the data, knowledge on the indexes and constraints, knowing the migration and features of compatibility and enhancement of SQL compatibility.
- Database monitoring with knowing the new things on how to monitor, enhancements of EXPLAIN statement and by using HADR.
- Maintaining the high availability of the database using the pureScale and in depth knowledge on the scripts of copy services that are advanced level.
- Using the utilities like IBM Workload Tuner and utilities of DB2 10.5.
Exceptional knowledge on the various types of databases are good to have such that handing the situations at difficult time would be easier and it increases the chances for clearing the exam as well. A comprehensive homework on all the above topics will definitely help you passing the exam and also gain all the benefits out of it.
The exam contains 30 questions which is of multiple choice and you will be given 60 minutes to finish the exam. 60 % of the questions should be right and the exam would be attempted either in English or in Japanese.
Validity of the Certification
The IBM Certifications does not expire but, there are chances that they might get replaces with the latest version with respect to the technology subject. Subsequently, one may have to retake the certification to get certified in the latest version.
For all the enthusiasts who are database administrators could go ahead in taking up this exam as it teaches you the every bit regarding the subject and this would benefit you great in your day to day work. I have experienced this personally and I had a splendid shift in my career after passing this exam.
Murase Asae, Oracle Financial Services.